Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mass Transit To Get Around

General Motors automobile mural
General Motors automobile mural (Photo credit: Toban Black)
I may have mentioned that my car has died and I am between vehicles at the moment, relying on mass transit to get to and from work. If I have not mentioned it, I just did.

This is a whole new world to me. I’ve always had a car since I took driver’s ed. at fifteen. Some cars were certainly better than others, but I always had wheels man. This is something I never realized I took for granted. The freedom that comes with that hadn’t really had true meaning until now.

Too many times in the past I’ve run out of ciggies at 2am and been able to just hop into trusty ol’ Red, my Toyota Corolla, may she rest in peace, and shoot off to the store, returning not only with a pack of ciggies, but munchies to satisfy… ok I won’t say it because there are kids here, but if I have the munchies, you can do the math.

Too many times have I broken a string on my guitar after putting off a trip to the music store one too many times, and been able to hop in the trusty ol’ Mazda Pickup (may he rest in peace [why was the truck a HE? I don’t know]) and cruise on down to the music store returning, not only with guitar strings but another guitar strap I really didn’t need.

Just having the freedom on a whim to hop in the car with my telescope in tow and a few Heart CDs heading for the darkness waiting beyond the city limits only to get frustrated that the damn moon moves entirely too fast to really enjoy the experience…ah, but the music was bichin’ and the drive was peaceful, especially with the windows rolled down in the middle of spring.

The list goes on and on and on and on.

Am I spoiled? You bet your bippy I am.

Related articles

No comments:

Post a Comment